Registered Sex Offenders in Florida Communities Increased to Over 23,000; Transient Offenders Present Challenges
Report 12-12, December 2012
- Since 2005, the number of registered sex offenders residing in Florida communities has increased by 28%, while the number of absconded offenders has continued to decline.
- Florida is 1 of 15 states substantially compliant with federal requirements and county sheriffs' offices report compliance with statutorily required registration and public notification activities. However, local practices vary and some sheriffs could better coordinate with the Department of Corrections so as to not duplicate address verification efforts.
- Almost 25% of sex offenders are unable to obtain identification cards because they lack the needed documentation or money. State and local agencies have developed a stopgap measure, providing sex offenders with a letter that acknowledges that they attempted to obtain identification.
- Monitoring homeless sex offenders is problematic as it is time-consuming to verify their location and provide required public notice. In addition, some offenders may claim a transient address to avoid legal requirements and restrictions.
- Approximately 1,100 registered sex offenders were minors at the time of their offense. While many youthful offenders are subject to registration requirements, Florida law provides some exemptions for "Romeo and Juliet" cases and some other juvenile offenders.
Sex Offender Registration and Monitoring Triennial Review - 2018
Report 18-08 December 2018
Sex Offender Registration and Monitoring: Statewide Requirements, Local Practices, and Monitoring Procedures
Report 15-16 December 2015
Sex Offender Registration and Public Notification Improved; Some Aspects of the Process Could Be Streamlined
Report 08-60 October 2008
The Delays in Screening Sexually Violent Predators Increase Costs; Treatment Facility Security Enhanced
Report 08-10 March 2008
Florida Department of Law Enforcement, FDLE, sex offender, sexual predator, sexual offender, Jessica Lunsford, juvenile sex offender, homeless sex offender, transient sex offender