The Delays in Screening Sexually Violent Predators Increase Costs; Treatment Facility Security Enhanced
Report 08-10, March 2008
While the Sexually Violent Predator Program has addressed some problems identified by prior reports, other deficiencies still exist.
- Offenders often spend extended periods in detention while awaiting the outcome of the civil commitment process, increasing program costs and diminishing effectiveness.
- The registry of mental health experts maintained by the Justice Administrative Commission lists few psychologists specializing in sex offender evaluations.
- The new program vendor has not fully implemented its enhanced specialized treatment component for developmentally disabled offenders.
- Adding a community re-entry phase would enhance the program's long-term effectiveness.
- While facility security has improved, the program should refine the categories of reportable incidents to better track safety and security at the treatment facility.
Sex Offender Registration and Monitoring Triennial Review - 2018
Report 18-08 December 2018
Sex Offender Registration and Monitoring: Statewide Requirements, Local Practices, and Monitoring Procedures
Report 15-16 December 2015
Registered Sex Offenders in Florida Communities Increased to Over 23,000; Transient Offenders Present Challenges
Report 12-12 December 2012
Higher Priority Should Be Given to Transition Services to Reduce Inmate Recidivism
Report 07-17 February 2007
criminal justice, juvenile justice, crime, corrections, Sex offender, sexual predator, civil commitment, treatment, transition, re-entry, work release, recidivism, visitation, phone, dress code, visit, commission, family, youth, children, toy, activity, visitor, calls, correctional officer, separations, trainees, turnover, training costs, vacancies, vacant positions, vacant FTE, prison, inmate, healthcare, health care cost, OPS, reimbursement, separation rate, corrections, sexually violent predators, sex offenders, treatment, ryce act, martin, liberty, mentally ill, desoto, monitoring, evaluation