Review of the Florida Lottery, 2021
Report 22-02, January 2022
- Lottery transfers to the Educational Enhancement Trust Fund increased in Fiscal Year 2020-21 to $2.24 billion, $328 million (17%) more than the prior year. This increase is due to large jackpots and the introduction of new scratch-off games and play options.
- Several additional game and product distribution options are available to further increase transfers to education. However, some options could represent expanded gambling.
- In a number of other states, product distribution methods have been expanded to include lottery courier services. A lottery courier service purchases tickets on behalf of players, typically through a website or mobile application (app). Several lottery courier services are operating in other states, with and without statutory authority. Three courier services have attempted to operate in Florida since 2017, but the Department of the Lottery stopped the couriers’ operations. OPPAGA’s review of Florida statutes did not identify any law specifically authorizing or prohibiting courier services.
- The department continues to outperform the legislative performance standard for its operating expense rate, which is the third lowest in the nation.
- OPPAGA reviewed department procedures for terminating retailers and monitoring and addressing player issues with the Florida Lottery mobile app as well as use of social media to promote the Lottery.
- The retailer termination process includes accounting for unused scratch-off ticket inventory and other lottery equipment and materials.
- The new mobile app was launched in June 2020, and the department provides avenues for players to relay mobile app issues. The department also implements quality assurance testing before updating the mobile app.
- Social media accounts have a large following and emphasize player fun, education, and responsible play.
Review of the Florida Lottery, 2022
Report 23-02 January 2023
gambling, gaming, gaming compact, keno, casino, transfers, Educational Enhancement Trust Fund, retailer integrity, underage sales, minor, age verification, adolescents, internet sales, play at the pump, scratch-off game, instant game, draw game, lottery, vending machine, retailer, ticket broker, stealing winning tickets, responsible play, player demographics, advertising